Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lenten Journey - Day 2 to give up Obsession

Okay, so it's not as hard as I thought today.  I am at the beach so maybe being out of my "normal" environment makes it easier.  I did not step on the scale this morning.  I'm going to try and go 40 days without weighing.  One down.  Today is not over yet!

I know it sounds like an easy thing to do, but for me, it's not.  I have a "love/hate" relationship with the scale.  I love it when it tells me good news.  If I don't like the number, it can ruin my day. 

I need to look at other indicators of good health.  My weight is within the healthy range for my height.  My clothes fit nicely.  I am fit.

I watch what I eat.  Of course, I have the occasional treat, but for the most part, I'm a model for heatlhy eating.  I eat fruits, veggies, drink tons of water, very little red meat, etc. 

I need to break the scale addiction.  Here's hoping that I can.  If I don't weigh for 40 days, that should do it.  I think I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit.  We shall see.

Today, I feel a little stressed.  It is absolutely pouring out and I don't have access to a treadmill so there will be no run for me today (at least it doesn't look like it).  I don't have a good way to get any meaningful exercise so I need to adjust my eating.  I need to realize that just because I skip one day of planned exercise, it doesn't undo all of the good work that I have done for weeks.  I need to be reasonable with myself and tell myself what I would tell someone else.  Why is that so hard?

I think I am going to learn a lot during this 40 day exercise. 

Until then, I'll watch some college basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment