Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Lenten Journey - To give up Obsession

I just got back from Pilates Reformer class and feel awesome.

Okay, so Lent starts today and it's a period of reflection and sometime deprivation. I thought about doing stuff like giving up Diet Pepsi or sugar, but decided on something MUCH more difficult for me.

I'm going to give up obsessing over my weight.

Okay. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up exercise and hit the All You Can Eat Buffet. What it means is that I am going to eat a healthy and balanced diet with correct portion sizes. I'm going to continue to run 12-15 miles per week and do my Pilates.

What it means is that I am not going to spend every waking hour worrying about the number on the scale. I may not even weigh the whole 40 days. Wonder if I could do that? Hmmmmm. Food for thought.

Right now, I'm sitting around 160, BUT, I put on a pair of pants that didn't fit last fall and they were loose. I wore a racer back tank to pilates today (everything else was in the washer) and the instructor complimented me on my upper body. Why do I only see the # on the scale and beat myself up????

I need to focus on feeling good about myself and not have my whole day either be either "good or bad" by what number I see.

I wonder how this will feel? Freeing or down right scary? I need to re-read "Women, Food and God" because that is the approach the Geneen Roth takes. Give your body what it needs (good food and exercise) and everything else will take care of itself.

Maybe I should have just given up "facebook" for Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment